All debt is a power relation, and sovereign debt is part of a very deliberate creation of developing country dependency. The burden of crippling debt repayments results in a flow of wealth from poor nations to rich ones, while at the same time creditor countries and their institutions dominate the governments of their debtors, undermining their democracy, and imposing disastrous trade and privatisation policies designed further to increase creditor wealth. Nick Dearden, the Director of Jubilee Debt Campaign, will explain how debt is part of a skewed global economic and financial system that requires radical reform if there is to be any hope of eradicating poverty within an environmentally sustainable framework.
- What is going on in Mali and the Western Sahel?
- What drives America’s Global Strategy?
- Offshore Tax Havens: how the wealthy loot the world
- How Western Hubris Lost Afghanistan
- The European Far Right: How great a threat are they?
- Greece: At what price membership of Europe?
- Iran – Why is the West preparing its public for a new War in the Middle East?
- Does the Chinese miracle herald the collapse of capitalism?
- The Global Tyranny of International Debt
- Syria: The most costly revolution of the Arab Spring?
- Whose fault is famine? Starvation in the face of plenty
- The energy challenge for UK and Europe
- The Face of Putin’s Russia
- Exploitation, Debt & Aid in Egypt and Tunisia: What Direction for the Revolutions?