The Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) now under negotiation between the EU and the US is set to be the most significant trade liberalising agreement the world has ever seen. This treaty, and especially its proposals for investor-state dispute settlement, will empower corporations to override government laws protecting public health, environmental regulations and social policies where these interfere with corporate profiteering. Tax payers and citizens will once again be left dealing with the consequences and footing the bill. John Hilary, an expert on global trade issues, will discuss this alarming situation with us. He is the Executive Director of War on Want, and his recent book, The Poverty of Capitalism, is published by Pluto Press this October.
- The prospects for the Kurds
- Fracking – the facts, the impacts & how to protect the environment
- Recipe for Ruin: the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership
- Venezuela under Chavez: dictatorship or model for radical democracy?
- China takes over the World – Myth or reality?
- The Global impact of Inequality
- Whistleblowing: the consequences of dissent
- Remaking cities: exploring contemporary urban policy
- Farewell to Justice? The progressive loss of Civil Liberties in the UK
- The Failure of Capitalism – Possibilities for a More Rational Economic Order
- Italy’s Vote : the impact of the Italian elections on the country and the EU
- Chance for Peace in the Second Decade
- Angola Ten Years After the War and Prospects for the Future
- Global Nuclear Disarmament: Utopia or necessity?