Tax havens are secrecy jurisdictions lying at the centre of the Global Economy. Half the world’s trade passes through them, and they afford the opportunity to avoid tax, financial regulation, criminal law and democratic scrutiny. They hide trillions of dollars on behalf of banks, multinationals, wealthy individuals and criminals, leaving the rest of society to pay for the public services on which we all depend. Richard Murphy, a chartered accountant, economist and tax expert will discuss this web of corruption and concealment. He is a founder of theTax Justice Network, director of Tax Research LLP and co-author of ‘Tax Havens’: How Globalisation Really Works(2009). His most recent book The Courageous State, was published in 2011.
- What is going on in Mali and the Western Sahel?
- What drives America’s Global Strategy?
- Offshore Tax Havens: how the wealthy loot the world
- How Western Hubris Lost Afghanistan
- The European Far Right: How great a threat are they?
- Greece: At what price membership of Europe?
- Iran – Why is the West preparing its public for a new War in the Middle East?
- Does the Chinese miracle herald the collapse of capitalism?
- The Global Tyranny of International Debt
- Syria: The most costly revolution of the Arab Spring?
- Whose fault is famine? Starvation in the face of plenty
- The energy challenge for UK and Europe
- The Face of Putin’s Russia
- Exploitation, Debt & Aid in Egypt and Tunisia: What Direction for the Revolutions?