At a time when our country is taken to war on flawed intelligence information, UK citizens are imprisoned without trial on the word of the intelligence services, and fear of terrorist attack is high, we need to know that those responsible for Britains security are really doing all they can to protect us. David Shayler, who worked for M15’s political and counter terrorism department in the 1990’s, was so concerned by its questionable activities and incompetence that he left and went on the record about the service’s failings. This courageous stand has led to a life on the run, exile in Paris, and two spells in jail. David will speak of his experiences at the heart of the secret state and on what happens when you stand up to it. His colleague, Annie Machon, who left for the same reasons, has recently written a book, ‘Spies, Lies & Whistleblowers’ which tells this fascinating and disturbing story.
- London inside-out: Politics in a World City
- Energy after the end of oil: Nuclear or renewable?
- European property markets: A threat to urban society?
- Iraq & the US occupation
- The myth of Al Zarqawi & the New Jihadist generation
- Can we trust a secret State?
- Managed democracy, Russian style
- Immigration, racism & human rights
- Inside North Korea
- China and its business and industry sectors
- Breakthrough or bust: What future for the NPT?
- Politics and ethics in Uzbekistan
- No rules for the rich: How tax avoidance is wrecking the global economy
- Iran: The geo-politics of the Islamic Republic
- Tetra phone masts: Profiteering from public health risk
- British ‘No’ and French ‘Non’: Europe’s greatest threat?